The July 25 guest column by Sara Myers and Dustin Hankinson begins with a discussion of pain, “great pain,” specifically. The paragraph goes on to use the phrase “great pain” to justify “death with dignity,” meaning assisted suicide and euthanasia.
With their column, I couldn’t help but think of my mother’s last years and the decision of others that it was time for her to die. Pain was used as a justification for increases in her medication – to get the job done. This happened three times before she finally died in the hospital on Sept. 6, 2010. The coroner’s report, case No. 100906, lists the cause of death as congestive heart failure with oxygen deprivation and “fentanyl therapy.” The manner of death is listed as “accident.”
Fentanyl is reported “to be 80 to 200 times as potent as morphine.” It’s also well known that fentanyl patch problems cause overdoses, injuries and deaths. See www.aboutlawsuits.com/fentanyl-patch-problems-continue-overdose-deaths-55136. A 100 mcg/hour fentanyl patch has a range within 24 hours of 1.9-3.8 ng/mL. Mom’s death result was 2.7 ng/mL on/or about 48 hours.
A complaint was filed by me with the Montana Board of Medical Examiners, No. 2012-069-MED. The screening panel dismissed the complaint with prejudice, which means that the board may not consider the complaint in the future.
Since then, I have talked with other people who have had similar experiences involving the death of a family member via a medical overdose. Please see here: www.montanansagainstassistedsuicide.org/2013/04/dont-give-doctors-more-power-to-abuse.html
The column by Myers and Hankinson states, “I believe one should have control of one’s life including its ending.“
I agree with that statement. However, my mother did not have that control. Others dictated for her. Please rethink legalizing assisted suicide and euthanasia so that we do not give others even more power to kill.
Hamilton Theater Protest
- Judge Hears Assisted Suicide Arguments
- MAAS Wins First Round in Board Lawsuit!
- Contact us
- SB 202 Dead!
- Beware of Vultures
- Montana Lawyer Article
- Baxter Case Analysis
- A Short History of Assisted Suicide in Montana
- Laws Against Assisted Suicide are Constitutional
- The Oregon Studies are Invalid
- Charlton Letter to Physicians
- About Us
- Quick Facts About Assisted Suicide
- MAAS lawsuit will keep assisted suicide illegal
- What People Mean When They Say They Want to Die
- MAAS appeals Medical Examiner Board Lawsuit
- Compassion & Choices is the Hemlock Society
- A Message to our Supporters
- Bradley Williams Takes on Compassion & Choices
- Increased Reports of Involuntary Deaths
- Rapist charged with "aiding or soliciting suicide"
- Hamilton Theater Protest
- The "Oregon Experience" includes Murder-Suicide
- Sign Our Petition!
- Sign our Petition Online!