I disagree with Jim McCreedy's
July 13 guest opinion that assisted suicide, which he refers to by the
euphemism "aid in dying," is legal in Montana.
I am president of
Montanans Against Assisted Suicide. We are in litigation against the
Montana Medical Examiners Board over the status of assisted suicide in
Montana. As part of that lawsuit, we succeeded in getting the board to
remove a position paper implying that assisted suicide is legal.
"Baxter v. the state of Montana," a doctor and anyone else who assists a
suicide can be charged with homicide. For more information about our
lawsuit, which is pending in the Montana Supreme Court, please see our
press release at http://www.montanansagainstassistedsuicide.org/2014/02/maas-appeals-medical-examiner-board.html
with legalizing assisted suicide include that it encourages people with
years to live to throw away their lives. Legalization also creates
loopholes for elder abuse, for example, when there is an inheritance
For me, personally, health care is a big reason that I
am against assisted suicide legalization. I am 65 years old. I don't
want some doctor telling me or my wife that we should go kill ourselves.
We have the right to be left alone.
For more information about
problems with the legalization of assisted suicide, please go to
— Bradley Williams, Hamilton
Hamilton Theater Protest
- Judge Hears Assisted Suicide Arguments
- MAAS Wins First Round in Board Lawsuit!
- Contact us
- SB 202 Dead!
- Beware of Vultures
- Montana Lawyer Article
- Baxter Case Analysis
- A Short History of Assisted Suicide in Montana
- Laws Against Assisted Suicide are Constitutional
- The Oregon Studies are Invalid
- Charlton Letter to Physicians
- About Us
- Quick Facts About Assisted Suicide
- MAAS lawsuit will keep assisted suicide illegal
- What People Mean When They Say They Want to Die
- MAAS appeals Medical Examiner Board Lawsuit
- Compassion & Choices is the Hemlock Society
- A Message to our Supporters
- Bradley Williams Takes on Compassion & Choices
- Increased Reports of Involuntary Deaths
- Rapist charged with "aiding or soliciting suicide"
- Hamilton Theater Protest
- The "Oregon Experience" includes Murder-Suicide