June 09, 2013 9:45
I was appalled to read Charles Johnson’s article implying that
assisted suicide is legal in Montana. To the contrary, Senate Bill 220, which
had sought to legalize assisted-suicide, was defeated in committee during the
2013 legislative session. The bill was tabled, nine votes to three. See www.montanansagainstassistedsuicide.org/p/sb-220-tabled.html.
is in contrast to House Bill 505, which had sought to clarify and strengthen our
law against assisted-suicide. HB505 not only got out of committee, but passed
During the legislative session, I was one of 108 physicians
who signed a newspaper display ad in support of HB505. http://maasdocuments.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/doctors-hb505_ad_8-22x17_4color319.pdf My reasons included that
the bill would protect my patients, many of whom are elderly.
situation is that the fight over assisted suicide will be returning to the
courts. For more information, please read this article by Matt Gouras of the
Associated Press: “Fight over assisted suicide moves back to court,” May 8, at
For the sake of my patients and the state of Montana, I hope that
assisted suicide will be defeated in this court case once and for
Annie Bukacek, Kalispell
Hamilton Theater Protest
- Judge Hears Assisted Suicide Arguments
- MAAS Wins First Round in Board Lawsuit!
- Contact us
- SB 202 Dead!
- Beware of Vultures
- Montana Lawyer Article
- Baxter Case Analysis
- A Short History of Assisted Suicide in Montana
- Laws Against Assisted Suicide are Constitutional
- The Oregon Studies are Invalid
- Charlton Letter to Physicians
- About Us
- Quick Facts About Assisted Suicide
- MAAS lawsuit will keep assisted suicide illegal
- What People Mean When They Say They Want to Die
- MAAS appeals Medical Examiner Board Lawsuit
- Compassion & Choices is the Hemlock Society
- A Message to our Supporters
- Bradley Williams Takes on Compassion & Choices
- Increased Reports of Involuntary Deaths
- Rapist charged with "aiding or soliciting suicide"
- Hamilton Theater Protest
- The "Oregon Experience" includes Murder-Suicide