Dear Senate Judiciary Committee:
I am doctor in Washington State where assisted suicide is legal for “terminal patients” predicted to have less than six months to live. I write to alert you to our “expansion” issue.
Our law has been in effect for just four years. We have, however, already had proposals to expand that law to direct euthanasia of non-terminal people. See e.g., Brian Faller, "Perhaps it's time to expand Washington's Death with Dignity Act", November 16, 2011. Last year, there was also this article in the Seattle Times, suggesting euthanasia for people who cannot afford their own care, which would be involuntary euthanasia: Jerry Large, "Planning for old age at a premium," March 8, 2012 at http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/2017693023.html ("After Monday's column, . . . a few [readers] suggested that if you couldn't save enough money to see you through your old age, you shouldn't expect society to bail you out. At least a couple mentioned euthanasia as a solution.") (Emphasis added).
I am concerned with where this is going. I hope that Montana protects its citizens by enacting HB 505.
Richard Wonderly, MD
Hamilton Theater Protest
- Judge Hears Assisted Suicide Arguments
- MAAS Wins First Round in Board Lawsuit!
- Contact us
- SB 202 Dead!
- Beware of Vultures
- Montana Lawyer Article
- Baxter Case Analysis
- A Short History of Assisted Suicide in Montana
- Laws Against Assisted Suicide are Constitutional
- The Oregon Studies are Invalid
- Charlton Letter to Physicians
- About Us
- Quick Facts About Assisted Suicide
- MAAS lawsuit will keep assisted suicide illegal
- What People Mean When They Say They Want to Die
- MAAS appeals Medical Examiner Board Lawsuit
- Compassion & Choices is the Hemlock Society
- A Message to our Supporters
- Bradley Williams Takes on Compassion & Choices
- Increased Reports of Involuntary Deaths
- Rapist charged with "aiding or soliciting suicide"
- Hamilton Theater Protest
- The "Oregon Experience" includes Murder-Suicide
- Sign Our Petition!
- Sign our Petition Online!