This legislative session, suicide proponents have again proposed a bill to legalize physician-assisted suicide. The bill, Senate Bill 220, is nearly identical to a bill defeated last session. More importantly, it�s once again, a recipe for elder abuse.
With physician-assisted suicide, a doctor facilitates a patient's suicide via a lethal dose. Family members, including the patient's heirs who will benefit financially from the death, are also allowed to be involved.
SB220 has two parts. First, there is an application process. Once the lethal dose is issued by the pharmacy, there is no oversight. Not even a witness is required. This creates the opportunity for an heir, or someone else who will benefit from the death, to administer the lethal dose to the patient without her consent and without anyone knowing what happened.
Assisted-suicide is only legal in Oregon and Washington. Proponents claim that these laws are safe due to safeguards including doctor reporting. SB220, however, eliminates reporting and other safeguards. With the lack of oversight over administration of the lethal dose, SB220 is, regardless, a recipe for elder abuse. Please tell your legislators to vote no.
Montanans Against Assisted Suicide
Hamilton Theater Protest
- Judge Hears Assisted Suicide Arguments
- MAAS Wins First Round in Board Lawsuit!
- Contact us
- SB 202 Dead!
- Beware of Vultures
- Montana Lawyer Article
- Baxter Case Analysis
- A Short History of Assisted Suicide in Montana
- Laws Against Assisted Suicide are Constitutional
- The Oregon Studies are Invalid
- Charlton Letter to Physicians
- About Us
- Quick Facts About Assisted Suicide
- MAAS lawsuit will keep assisted suicide illegal
- What People Mean When They Say They Want to Die
- MAAS appeals Medical Examiner Board Lawsuit
- Compassion & Choices is the Hemlock Society
- A Message to our Supporters
- Bradley Williams Takes on Compassion & Choices
- Increased Reports of Involuntary Deaths
- Rapist charged with "aiding or soliciting suicide"
- Hamilton Theater Protest
- The "Oregon Experience" includes Murder-Suicide