I strongly support the editorials by Bradley Williams and Ted Friesen regarding assisted suicide. It is sobering to see that where people choose to live can be influenced by where they hope to have the freedom to continue living.
We need to reject proposals to encourage doctors to practice assisted suicide. This is not in the public interest for the following reasons:
Assisted suicide can foster elder abuse by allowing heirs to pressure older people to cut their lives short. It can also allow health care practitioners to steer people toward assisted suicide.[*] Besides its effects on the elderly and chronically ill, I am very concerned about this death culture and its effect on our young people. We have a high rate of suicide already, and legalization and/or encouragement of assisted suicide will only make it worse (as it has in Oregon).
We should not encourage assisted suicide in any way. All of our lives depend on it.
Ruth Plesner, Victor
[* For more information about suicide steerage, click here to view the affidavit of Dr. Ken Stevens.]
Hamilton Theater Protest
- Judge Hears Assisted Suicide Arguments
- MAAS Wins First Round in Board Lawsuit!
- Contact us
- SB 202 Dead!
- Beware of Vultures
- Montana Lawyer Article
- Baxter Case Analysis
- A Short History of Assisted Suicide in Montana
- Laws Against Assisted Suicide are Constitutional
- The Oregon Studies are Invalid
- Charlton Letter to Physicians
- About Us
- Quick Facts About Assisted Suicide
- MAAS lawsuit will keep assisted suicide illegal
- What People Mean When They Say They Want to Die
- MAAS appeals Medical Examiner Board Lawsuit
- Compassion & Choices is the Hemlock Society
- A Message to our Supporters
- Bradley Williams Takes on Compassion & Choices
- Increased Reports of Involuntary Deaths
- Rapist charged with "aiding or soliciting suicide"
- Hamilton Theater Protest
- The "Oregon Experience" includes Murder-Suicide