I am happy to see that Bradley Williams and Ted Friesen are fighting against Assisted Suicide in our state. As a retired doctor from the state of Montana, I too am concerned over the issue of Physician Assisted Suicide.
First, and most importantly, Physician Assisted Suicide is NOT legal in Montana. The Baxter case far from legalized Assisted Suicide in our state. It merely gave physicians a "possible defense" should they be criminally charged in assisting in the death of on of their patients.
This is not a position any healthcare provider should ever be subject to. The very oath they have taken say they pledge "to do no harm." Doctor’s are often wrong in determining a prognosis for their patient’s demise. Depression is a primary reason that a patient would choose this end, and often that is associated with pain or hopelessness. Pain can be addressed through palliative measures, but as tracked through the Washington and Oregon profile, the treatment of depression is often not addressed.
Allowing Physician Assisted Suicide could position our most vulnerable citizens in a place of abuse by family members or others, that find the care of an infirmed person too much to deal with, or worse yet, would like to benefit financially from the death of that individual. We already have an excessively high occurrence of elder abuse, not to mention our state being one of the highest for suicide. This is the wrong message to send to our populace - that it is okay to have a doctor kill someone for whatever reason.
I hope the citizens of Montana think seriously about where this could lead and remember, we too, could someday be placed in the position of victim.
Hamilton Theater Protest
- Sign Our Petition!
- Judge Hears Assisted Suicide Arguments
- MAAS Wins First Round in Board Lawsuit!
- Contact us
- SB 202 Dead!
- Beware of Vultures
- Montana Lawyer Article
- Baxter Case Analysis
- A Short History of Assisted Suicide in Montana
- Laws Against Assisted Suicide are Constitutional
- The Oregon Studies are Invalid
- Charlton Letter to Physicians
- About Us
- Quick Facts About Assisted Suicide
- MAAS lawsuit will keep assisted suicide illegal
- What People Mean When They Say They Want to Die
- MAAS appeals Medical Examiner Board Lawsuit
- Compassion & Choices is the Hemlock Society
- A Message to our Supporters
- Bradley Williams Takes on Compassion & Choices
- Increased Reports of Involuntary Deaths
- Rapist charged with "aiding or soliciting suicide"
- Hamilton Theater Protest
- The "Oregon Experience" includes Murder-Suicide