Suicide prevention: New media guidelines will save lives
Published in The Missoulian, May 13, 2011
On behalf of the Missoula Suicide Prevention Network and the Ravalli County Suicide Prevention Alliance, we would like to express our appreciation to Bradley Williams for his letter of April 27, outlining responsible suicide reporting guidelines for the media.
Since that letter was published, new guidelines have been released by the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. The new recommendations were written and endorsed by a task force representing 50 suicide prevention organizations from around the world.
The document reads: “Suicide is a public health issue. Media and online coverage of suicide should be informed by using best practices. Some suicide deaths may be newsworthy. However, the way media cover suicide can influence behavior negatively by contributing to contagion or positively by encouraging help-seeking.” The recommendations can be read at www.ReportingOnSuicide.org.To learn more about suicide in Montana, go to: www.co.missoula.mt.us/healthpromo/
SuicidePrevention or call 258-3881. In a suicide crisis, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK. Working together we can save lives.
Missoula Suicide Prevention Network,
Ravalli County Suicide Prevention Alliance
Hamilton Theater Protest
- Judge Hears Assisted Suicide Arguments
- MAAS Wins First Round in Board Lawsuit!
- Contact us
- SB 202 Dead!
- Beware of Vultures
- Montana Lawyer Article
- Baxter Case Analysis
- A Short History of Assisted Suicide in Montana
- Laws Against Assisted Suicide are Constitutional
- The Oregon Studies are Invalid
- Charlton Letter to Physicians
- About Us
- Quick Facts About Assisted Suicide
- MAAS lawsuit will keep assisted suicide illegal
- What People Mean When They Say They Want to Die
- MAAS appeals Medical Examiner Board Lawsuit
- Compassion & Choices is the Hemlock Society
- A Message to our Supporters
- Bradley Williams Takes on Compassion & Choices
- Increased Reports of Involuntary Deaths
- Rapist charged with "aiding or soliciting suicide"
- Hamilton Theater Protest
- The "Oregon Experience" includes Murder-Suicide
- Sign Our Petition!
- Sign our Petition Online!