Assisted Suicide: State can't afford legalizing suicide
Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:30 am
First, it is not true that physician-assisted suicide is legal in Montana. In the 2011 Legislature, Sen. Anders Blewett's bill, which would have accomplished that goal, failed. During the hearing on the bill, Senate Bill 167, Blewett also conceded that physician-assisted suicide is not legal in Montana. He said: "(U)nder current law, a - there's nothing to protect the doctor from prosecution." See here for transcript of his quote and other quotes to that same effect: www.margaretdore.com/info/MT_blewett_transcript167_001.pdf.
Second, SB167 would have imposed Oregon-style assisted suicide on our state. We do not need the "Oregon experience." Oregon's regular suicide rate increased after that state legalized physician-assisted suicide. This is consistent with the idea of a suicide contagion: Normalizing one type of suicide can encourage other different suicides. In other words, suicide begets suicide. Montana already has one of the highest suicide rates in the country. We do not need any more.
Third and finally, if anyone would like to help prevent legalization of assisted suicide in Montana, please contact me at montanansagainstassistedsuicide.org.
Bradley D. Williams, coordinator, Montanans Against Assisted Suicide, Hamilton
Hamilton Theater Protest
- Sign Our Petition!
- Judge Hears Assisted Suicide Arguments
- MAAS Wins First Round in Board Lawsuit!
- Contact us
- SB 202 Dead!
- Beware of Vultures
- Montana Lawyer Article
- Baxter Case Analysis
- A Short History of Assisted Suicide in Montana
- Laws Against Assisted Suicide are Constitutional
- The Oregon Studies are Invalid
- Charlton Letter to Physicians
- About Us
- Quick Facts About Assisted Suicide
- MAAS lawsuit will keep assisted suicide illegal
- What People Mean When They Say They Want to Die
- MAAS appeals Medical Examiner Board Lawsuit
- Compassion & Choices is the Hemlock Society
- A Message to our Supporters
- Bradley Williams Takes on Compassion & Choices
- Increased Reports of Involuntary Deaths
- Rapist charged with "aiding or soliciting suicide"
- Hamilton Theater Protest
- The "Oregon Experience" includes Murder-Suicide